Search This Blog

Tuesday 16 October 2018

THE 1975 – THE BAND THAT SAVED MY LIFE

Image source

I first found The 1975 on Tumblr in late 2013, which is kind of ironic because in a recent interview with The New York Times, Matty Healy claimed, "We're the Tumblr band, really, in every sense." Audios of 'Chocolate', 'Girls', and 'Sex' were constantly on my dashboard and it seemed like everyone was completely infatuated with the band, both musically and, of course, aesthetically.

It was exciting for me because before discovering The 1975 I had never really had much interest in music. I enjoyed the occasional song from a movie soundtrack or from a television show, but I did not tend to listen to entire albums and I was never exactly a fangirl. I suppose that what I was missing was a connection.

Just before I turned seventeen, I fell into a pretty serious, life-threatening depression. Music suddenly had a whole new meaning for me. I felt incredibly lonely and isolated, misunderstood, and in so much pain that I had no idea how to cope. Music became a sort of life-line for me.

The 1975's debut album became my best friend. Going to school was impossible for me, despite being smack-bam in the middle of my final year of A-Levels. No one visited me at home and I was mostly left by my family to work through my pain alone. So, I stayed in bed all day every day with my earphones in and The 1975 on repeat.

I became obsessed with their EP 'Facedown' and watched the music videos on YouTube more times than I can count. I had pretty awful insomnia and the black and white theme and haunting atmosphere, particularly of the 'Facedown' and 'Antichrist' music videos, felt sort of poetic and I was convinced that they must have understood how I was feeling because the visuals were like something I had painted in my head.


I am notorious for fads and obsessions and they rarely last in their intensity, even if I can usually count on them returning, but my love of The 1975 has never really faded. They have been a sort of constant in my life for the past five years.

The great thing about The 1975 is that they always seem to be evolving, changing in their own way while simultaneously staying exactly the same. I remember listening to their second album for the first time, laying on my bed in my American dorm room during my year abroad, and just listening to the whole thing with my eyes closed. It was like being transported back in time to a place of safety and comfort, but also like travelling somewhere new and exciting.

About a year after the second album was released, 'Loving Someone' became particularly important to me after coming to the realisation that I was a member of the LGBTQ+ community. That is one things that I love about The 1975 – all of their songs help me in different ways because they touch on so many different important topics. They never shy away from the controversial subjects and they use their platform to raise awareness for major issues.


The 'Love It If We Made It' music video, which was released 15th October 2018, is probably the best example of this to date. Video footage from multiple organisations aided in their attempt at displaying how truly f*cked up the world has become and how vital is the need for change.

Image source

I am proud to be a fan of The 1975 and I am extremely excited to listen to their third album, 'A BRIEF INQUIRY INTO ONLINE RELATIONSHIPS,' which is set for release 30th November 2018. There is no doubt in my mind that it will be just as epic and groundbreaking as their first two albums and I absolutely cannot wait to see them live in London in January 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment